This past Sunday afternoon I visited good friends in Potomac, Md who I had not seen for awhile. He had grown a beard, a white one which made him look so distinguished and learned. She, vivacious as ever, showed her usual warmth and enthusiastically showed me the wonderful food and wine she had gathered for the occassion. Offered a glass of wine, I noted they had a bottle of Boutari’s 2008 Santorini being chilled in the refrigerator. I couldn’t help but feel moved by seeing this bottle, as it reminded me of my visit to Santorini this past summer and time spent at a seminar at Boutari learning about Assrytiko. I also realized that my friends who are subscribers to the International Wine Review, had read our recently published report on Santorini and Assyrtiko and had purchased the Boutari wine for the occassion. It was a wonderful surprise and I was struck by the freshness of the wine and its minerality, and clean intense flavors of the sea. We drank it with delicious crab cakes, vine leaves and other wonderful appetizers. And I couldn’t help but feel so lucky to have such thoughtful friends and to be able to revisit Santorini on a Sunday afternoon.
- West Coast Rosé of Pinot Noir: Not Just for Summer September 15, 2022
- Pelliegrini’s Three Shades of Pinot Noir September 14, 2022
- Victor Mendes: From Successful Wine Retailer to Negociant September 5, 2022
- Crimson Lane Vineyards: An Exciting New Quality-Oriented Winery in Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains September 5, 2022
- Iliana Malihin: Fire and Wine in Crete August 30, 2022
- Lyrarakis Winery: Saving Crete’s Indigenous Grapes August 28, 2022
- New Releases from Bodega Marichal of Canelones, Uruguay August 22, 2022
- 2021 Italian Rosatos of Sangiovese & Other Varieties August 17, 2022
- Morét-Brealynn: A New Promising Pinot Noir Label August 16, 2022
- Italy’s Rosé from a White Grape: Valentino Butussi’s Pinot Grigio Ramato August 15, 2022
This blog offers brief articles and wine reviews for the i-WineReview community— members of the trade and discerning wine consumers around the world. It compliments our in-depth bi-monthly regional reports and wine review articles on www.i-winereview.com.