Bertani’s Current Releases from Soave and Valpolicella

Founded in 1857, Bertani is one of Valpolicella’s most illustrious producers of Amarone with over 200 hectares of vineyards in the province of Verona.  Over the decades, this winery has demonstrated its ability to produce wines of extraordinary purity and refinement. We visited the winery for a tasting while preparing our report The Amarones of Valpolicella.  Also, see our article on pairing Bertani wines with Italian cuisine at Georgetown’s Café Milano.

US Importer: Taub Family Selections/Palm Bay

The Wines

Bertani 2016 Cav Giov Batt Bertani Soave ($31) 91 This is an unusually vibrant Soave with aromas and flavors of lemon zest, flinty minerals, and a hint of passion fruit on the upper registers. Firm acidity gives the wine good structure and lingering freshness on the finish. Very good. 40% of the grapes are picked and fermented off the skins in late September, and about a month later the remaining 60% of the grapes are harvested and fermented on the skins to add complexity. Made of 100% Garganega grapes grown on pergolas in the Soave hills. Aged on the lees in concrete tanks. 12.5% alc.

Bertani 2015 Secco-Bertani Verona IGT 91 Medium dark ruby.  The Secco-Bertani is a delicious, easy drinking wine offering dark red berries, dried cherries, and a hint of underbrush.  There’s good depth and richness of flavor on a nicely structured palate with a firm acidic backbone and chewy tannins on the finish. Very well done! A blend of 80% Corvina, 10% Sangiovese Grosso, 5% Syrah and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine is aged in chestnut and cherry traditional barrels of diverse sizes.

Bertani 2016 Ripasso Valpolicella  ($25) 90  Amarone like in its aromas and flavors of dark fruit, spice, and tobacco, the 2016 Ripasso has a sweet ripe red fruit note and youthful tannins that makes it the perfect drinking companion to mature cheeses and risotto. A blend of 85% Corvina Veronese, 10% Merlot and 5% Rondinella fermented in wide, shallow steel tanks for about two weeks; the second fermentation on Amarone skins takes place in March. Aged in 50 hl French oak for 9 months. Alc 13.5% RS 6 g/L

Bertani 2009 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico  ($129) 95 Amarone at its best—deeply flavored, complex and velvet textured.  Showing sweet dark cherry and plum complemented by notes of dried fruit, smoke, minerals and spice, the 2009 Amarone is ready to drink now. While the palate is velvet smooth, there’s a firm tannic backbone that gives the wine exceptional balance.  Sourced from the Tenuta Villa Novare in Arbizzano di Negrar in the Classico region. A blend of 80% Corvina Veronese and 20% Rondinella, dried for 120 days, then destemmed, crushed and cold macerated for 20 days followed by a slow, 30 day fermentation in concrete vats

Share this post!
This entry was posted in Amarone, Italy, Red Wine, Uncategorized, White Wine, Wine Type and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.