Superb Soave Classico from Coffele

ART Coffele FotoThe l’Azienda Agricola Coffele has 25 hectares of horse cultivated, organically farmed Garganega, Trebbiano di Soave and other vines growing on the hillsides of the Castelcerino Cru. Up to 400 meters in elevation, the vineyards are among the highest in Soave Classico with a mixture of calcareous and basaltic soils. As our reviews below show, the Coffele wines are outstanding.  Of course, we already knew that from our earlier report on The Wines of Soave.

Giuseppe Coffele and Giovanna Visco began making Soave at the old Visco family estate in 1971. Today, siblings Alberto and Chiara Coffele manage the l’Azienda Agricola Coffele, Alberto handling the production side and Chiara the commercial side of the business. Alberto, a graduate of the Instituto Agrario di San Michele all’Adige, has made the wine at Coffele since 1994, winning several, prestigious Tre Biccheri awards in the process. The dry Soaves are all cold fermented in stainless steel.

Alberto Cultivating with "Lady"

Alberto Cultivating with “Lady”

Coffele’s Recioto di Soave is made from grapes that go through a drying process (appassimento) similar to that used for Amarone. Read our note on that process here.

The US Importer is Peter/Warren Selections.

 Coffele 2015 Alzari Soave Classico 92 Sensuous nose with firm scents of ripe melon, peach and chamomile. Densely flavored of the same with rich extract and superb length. 93/4 RP 91 on 2012 Made of all Garganega, 60% of the fruit is fermented immediately after picking, while the remaining 40% is partially dried for 40 days before being fermented. Blended together, the wine is matured 10 months in 15 hectolitre botti. Pairs well with different types of fowl.

Coffele Ca Visco Soave Classico 91 Revealing an exuberant perfume of gardenia flowers, white stone fruit, and passion fruit, Ca Visco shows superb balance with bright acidity married to rich flavors of passion fruit, fragrant melon, and ripe pear. There’s a stony mineral character to the finish. A blend of 75% Garganega and 25% Trebbiano di Soave grapes, fermented separately and later blended. A good pairing for fish and chicken breast.

Coffele 2016 Castel Cerino Soave Classico 89 The Castel Cerino offers aromas and flavors of crisp orchard fruit. The wine is young and lean with bracing acidity and a lingering sense of minerals on the finish. Made from the estate’s hillside vineyards in Castelcerino. An excellent wine to pair with shellfish.

Garganega Drying for Recioto

Garganega Drying for Recioto

Coffele 2015 Le Sponde Recioto di Soave 94 Le Sponde is a sensuous wine with honeyed almond, dried stone fruit, and papaya flavors that erupt in the mouth. It finishes long and clean. The vineyard’s best Garganega grapes are dried for six months to concentrate flavors and sugars, then gently pressed and fermented and aged in oak barriques for 10-12 months. Have with cheeses or almond cookies.

Share this post!
This entry was posted in Dessert Wine, Italy, Uncategorized, White Wine, Wine Type and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.