Everyone knows how difficult it is to find a restaurant or wine bar that serves more than a couple of mediocre wines by the glass, usually at an outrageous markup. Well, if you’re traveling to Cape Town for the World Cup, one of the world’s greatest wine bars is within walking distance of the Green Point Stadium where some of the most exciting games will be played. Belthazar, located on the pier at the V&A Waterfront has an incredible 250 wines by the glass and over 600 wines on its wine list. Of course, most these wines are South African, but why would you drink anything else in Cape Town? Prior to entering you might want to pick up the2010 Platter’s South African Wine Guide to help narrow down your choices, although Belthazar’s wine menu already tells you how many stars each wine has earned. I found the sommeliers there to be very generous about letting one sample wines. My favorite—the Lomond 2008 Pincushion Sauvignon Blanc with its chalky minerality and spearmint and saline notes and incredible persistence on the finish. Only available in South Africa, as far as I know, so make sure you try it after the game.
- The Authentic Spanish Wines of Alberto Orte July 5, 2020
- Bibbiano Chianti Classico: New Releases June 30, 2020
- Proposed US Wine Tariffs Would Radically Change the Wine Market June 29, 2020
- 2019 Vintage Rosés from Around the World June 19, 2020
- The Craig Stoller Collection: Sextant and Paris Valley Road June 19, 2020
- Tavel: France’s Other Rosé May 29, 2020
- South Africa’s Top Ten Sparkling Cuvées in 2020 May 28, 2020
- Tenuta Santa Maria: New Valpolicella and Amarone Releases May 24, 2020
- Cabernet Sauvignon from Lake County’s Hawk and Horse Vineyard: 2008-2016 May 21, 2020
- Clarice: 2018 Pinot Noirs from the Santa Lucia Highlands May 18, 2020
This blog offers brief articles and wine reviews for the i-WineReview community— members of the trade and discerning wine consumers around the world. It compliments our in-depth bi-monthly regional reports and wine review articles on www.i-winereview.com.