New Releases from Mullineux Family
Wines in South Africa's Swartland
Andrea and Chris Mullineux are young winemakers trained at Stellenbosch University and UC, Davis, respectively. They craft some of South Africa’s very best Rhone-style wines at their eponymous winery. They contract and manage vineyards in the Swartland with aspirations of planting their own. We gave their wines rave reviews in Report #30 The Wines of South Africa.
Andrea received her training at UC, Davis, started making wine in South Africa, and met Chris at a wine festival in, of all places, Champagne. Chris was trained at Stellenbosch and made wine at Tulbagh Mountain Vineyards and at Reyneke before setting out on his own. Today the two of them work as a real team making some of South Africa’s most elegant wines. They pick earlier than some, resulting in wines with lower alcohol and more finesse than much of the wine coming out of the warm Swartland.
They produce the entry level Kloof Street line, their mainstream Syrah and White Blend, and beginning in 2009 two single vineyard, terroir driven Syrahs called Granite and Schist. The Kloof Street line is especially good value.
Awards are flying the Mullineux way. Andrea was just inducted into the prestigious Cape Winemakers Guild, only the second woman among the 46 members of the Guild. And the Mullineux 2010 Syrah was named Wine of the Year by the 2013 edition of Platter’s South African Wines. The US importer is Kysela Pere et Fils of Winchester VA.
To continue reading this article, become an International Wine Review subscriber today.
Subscribers receive the following:
When you subscribe you gain exclusive access to one of the most respected wine publications in the world, and you receive
- 6 bi-monthly, in-depth reports per year on the major wine regions of the world (3 for introductory subscriptions)
- Over 50 past reports on wine regions throughout the world
- Periodic Special Wine Reports
- Access to the IWR database of over 15,000 wine reviews
- Weekly wine tasting articles recommending new releases, new vintages, and best buys
- Articles on wine and food pairing and an exclusive wine and food pairing chart for subscribers only