The Wines of Tenuta Santa Maria alla Pieve in Veneto
Located 10 miles east of Verona in the Colognola ai Colli commune, the 21 hectare Tenuta Santa Maria Pieve lies in Veneto’s Val d’Illasi, bordering Soave. The Bertani family has owned the Tenuta since 1845, and its company, Agricola Gaetano Bertani e Figli, owns a total of 50 ha of vineyards in the Veneto. Today Giovanni and his brother Guglielmo manage the company and its prestigious Tenuta Santa Maria estate.
The low yielding estate Garganega blocks of this Tenuta are planted on clay with calcareous subsoil using pergoletta training. Grapes are harvested at three different pickings to obtain varying degrees of ripeness, lending complexity to the wine. The red wine grapes are planted very densely—9500 vines/ha. Franco Bernabei is the consulting winemaker for Tenuta Santa Maria alla Pieve. The US importer is Grapes on the Go.
To continue reading this article, become an International Wine Review subscriber today.
Subscribers receive the following:
When you subscribe you gain exclusive access to one of the most respected wine publications in the world, and you receive
- 6 bi-monthly, in-depth reports per year on the major wine regions of the world (3 for introductory subscriptions)
- Over 50 past reports on wine regions throughout the world
- Periodic Special Wine Reports
- Access to the IWR database of over 15,000 wine reviews
- Weekly wine tasting articles recommending new releases, new vintages, and best buys
- Articles on wine and food pairing and an exclusive wine and food pairing chart for subscribers only