New Releases from Wrath Wines
Wrath Wines are standouts in Monterey County. Since we first visited the winery in 2009 in connection with the preparation of our Report #20, The Santa Lucia Highlands, Wrath has gone from strength to strength. In this collection of its new releases, Wrath offers exciting Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah wines from its estate vineyard and from high quality neighboring vineyards in the Monterey County and Santa Lucia Highlands appellations.
Wrath is a relatively small artisanal winery producing a little over 1,000 cases annually. Its 72-acre estate vineyard, San Saba, is a cool site with little rainfall situated just below the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA. With the assistance of viticulture consultant Steve McIntyre, Wrath is implementing an SIP certified sustainable farming program that is also helping to enhance the unique characteristics of its terroir.
Winemaking at Wrath is in the hands of the talented winemaker Sabrine Rodems. With a Master of Science degree in Viticulture and Enology, Sabrine joined the winery in June of 2004 and was promoted to winemaker in 2007. Her philosophy of winemaking is non-interventionist, doing only what is necessary to enable the wine to express itself.
The wines reviewed here offer a rich variety of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah wines that reflect the unique characteristics of the climate, soil, and vines from which they are sourced. As a group the wines confirm our earlier judgment that Wrath is an outstanding winery in Monterey County.
To continue reading this article, become an International Wine Review subscriber today.
Subscribers receive the following:
When you subscribe you gain exclusive access to one of the most respected wine publications in the world, and you receive
- 6 bi-monthly, in-depth reports per year on the major wine regions of the world (3 for introductory subscriptions)
- Over 50 past reports on wine regions throughout the world
- Periodic Special Wine Reports
- Access to the IWR database of over 15,000 wine reviews
- Weekly wine tasting articles recommending new releases, new vintages, and best buys
- Articles on wine and food pairing and an exclusive wine and food pairing chart for subscribers only