The Wines of Miles Mossop and Tokara
In this article we review the wines of the Tokara winery, located just outside Stellenbosch in South Africa, and the wines of Miles Mossop Wines. The Tokara and Miles Mossop Wines are made by Miles Mossop, one of South Africa’s most accomplished young winemakers.
Elected to South Africa’s prestigious Cape Winemaker’s Guild in 2012, Miles Mossop is responsible for Tokara’s superb wine portfolio and, also, makes the wines at his own boutique, eponymous winery. He is the son of another Cape Winemaker, Tony Mossop, and graduated from Stellenbosch University in Enology in 1998. He has worked with some of South Africa’s world famous winemakers—Gyles Webb and Eben Sadie—and has also made wine in Australia (Knappstein), the Napa Valley (Far Niente), Condrieu, and Sicily (Planeta). In 2000 he was appointed chief winemaker at Tokara.
Tokara Tokara’s home vineyard is located in the Simonsberg Mountains, just 5 km up the Helshoogte pass from Stellenbosch. Its 22 ha Elgin vineyard, Highlands, mostly planted to Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, is located on top of the Kogelberg Mountain Range surrounded by fynbos. Tokara’s 24 ha vineyard, Siberia, is in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley outside Hermanus. Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc are also the principal varieties planted at Siberia. Tokara’s viticulturist is Aidan Morton. Tokara is also the site of one of the Stellenbosch winelands finest restaurants with fabulous views of mountainside vineyards.
Imported by Dreyfus, Ashby & Co, New York NY
To continue reading this article, become an International Wine Review subscriber today.
Subscribers receive the following:
When you subscribe you gain exclusive access to one of the most respected wine publications in the world, and you receive
- 6 bi-monthly, in-depth reports per year on the major wine regions of the world (3 for introductory subscriptions)
- Over 50 past reports on wine regions throughout the world
- Periodic Special Wine Reports
- Access to the IWR database of over 15,000 wine reviews
- Weekly wine tasting articles recommending new releases, new vintages, and best buys
- Articles on wine and food pairing and an exclusive wine and food pairing chart for subscribers only