Alysian Wines: 2009 Pinot Noir and Chardonnay Releases from Russian River Valley
Alysian Wines is the creation of veteran winemaker Gary Farrell and his long term colleague Bill Hambrecht. Established in 2007, the winery produces small lots of cool climate Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from some of the finest vineyards in the Russian River Valley.
Winemaker Gary Farrell has three decades of winemaking experience that began in the late 1970s working as a cellar rat for Davis Bynum Winery. He later became the winemaker at Davis Bynum and developed relationships with Russian River pioneers, Tom Dehinger, Joe Rochioli, Davis Bynum, and Robert Stemmler. In 1982 he launched his own highly successful eponymous label in Russian River and also helped produce the wines at Rochioli Vineyard. Gary sold that winery in 2004, so he could return to his roots as a winemaker of small lots of Pinot Noir.
The focus of Gary’s passion is Pinot Noir, and his approach is to produce vibrant wines of flavor, structure, and high natural acidity. The wines reviewed here are delicious examples of his approach. The Pinot Noirs exhibit a combination of earth and ripe red berry fruit flavors, elegant and refined structure, and crisp and lively acidity. The Chardonnays are fruit rich and mouth filling yet restrained in their use of malo and oak. Above all, Gary’s wines are moderate in alcohol and beautifully balanced.
Alysian winery is situated in Healdsburg, CA. www.alysianwines.com
To continue reading this article, become an International Wine Review subscriber today.
Subscribers receive the following:
When you subscribe you gain exclusive access to one of the most respected wine publications in the world, and you receive
- 6 bi-monthly, in-depth reports per year on the major wine regions of the world (3 for introductory subscriptions)
- Over 50 past reports on wine regions throughout the world
- Periodic Special Wine Reports
- Access to the IWR database of over 15,000 wine reviews
- Weekly wine tasting articles recommending new releases, new vintages, and best buys
- Articles on wine and food pairing and an exclusive wine and food pairing chart for subscribers only