Styria: New Releases from Wohlmuth
Weingut Wohlmuth is one of the largest and oldest producers in Southern Styria (Suedsteiermark). Last year we visited Wohlmuth at the foot of the breathtakingly steep Kitzeck Mountain, site of the estate's best vineyards—high altitude (600m) Ried Altenberg, steep (60-78% incline) Ried Steinriegel, and Edelschuh. Gerhard Wohlmuth Jr. (pictured here), who makes the wine with his father, hosted us during our trip to Austria last year. The wine world is surprisingly small and interconnected, so it comes as no surprise that Gerhard has also made wine at Rupert & Rothschild in South Africa, which we'll be visiting next month. Our tasting notes on the new releases from Wohlmuth are reported below.
To continue reading this article, become an International Wine Review subscriber today.
Subscribers receive the following:
When you subscribe you gain exclusive access to one of the most respected wine publications in the world, and you receive
- 6 bi-monthly, in-depth reports per year on the major wine regions of the world (3 for introductory subscriptions)
- Over 50 past reports on wine regions throughout the world
- Periodic Special Wine Reports
- Access to the IWR database of over 15,000 wine reviews
- Weekly wine tasting articles recommending new releases, new vintages, and best buys
- Articles on wine and food pairing and an exclusive wine and food pairing chart for subscribers only