Longoria Wines: Outstanding Pinot Noir & Other Wines from Santa Barbara County
As we've stated in earlier articles, Rick Longoria is one of Santa Barbara's most talented winemakers. However, after tasting his newly released Pinot Noirs, we realize we've been too reticent in our praise. We tasted four Pinot Noirs—the 2008 Fe Ciega, the 2009 Bien Nacido Vineyard, the 2009 Lovely Rita, and the 2009 Rancho Santa Rosa—and rate them outstanding. They reveal Rick's talent for producing authentic wines of elegance and balance from different terroir and clones, using varied barrel regimes with the judicious use of new French oak. Our tasting notes on these wines, as well as recent releases of Rick's Alisos Vineyard Syrah and Clover Creek Vineyard Tempranillo are given below.
To continue reading this article, become an International Wine Review subscriber today.
Subscribers receive the following:
When you subscribe you gain exclusive access to one of the most respected wine publications in the world, and you receive
- 6 bi-monthly, in-depth reports per year on the major wine regions of the world (3 for introductory subscriptions)
- Over 50 past reports on wine regions throughout the world
- Periodic Special Wine Reports
- Access to the IWR database of over 15,000 wine reviews
- Weekly wine tasting articles recommending new releases, new vintages, and best buys
- Articles on wine and food pairing and an exclusive wine and food pairing chart for subscribers only